Hunter Education Certification Program

                                           Multnomah County

 In these pages, you can find what you 
will need to know to enroll in the 
Hunter Safety\Education Certification Program.


The purpose of this course is to promote responsible hunter conduct, safe handling of rifles, shotguns, bows, and all hunting equipment; fulfill the State's requirement for certifying young hunters; further the long tradition of hunter supported Wildlife Management; and to help make Oregon a safer place to hunt and observe Wildlife.

    About this program...

       The Oregon Hunter Education Program is subject to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and offers all persons the opportunity to participate in programs or activities regardless of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. No individual will be turned away from or otherwise denied access to or benefit from any program or activity on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability.
       The Oregon Hunter Education Program is funded through 1970 and 1972 amendments to the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937, better known as the Pittman-Robertson Act. Funds are derived from an excise tax on firearms and ammunition, bows and arrows, and handguns. The funds are distributed to state wildlife agencies by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Division of Federal Aid, based on that State’s population. Seventy-five percent of the Oregon Hunter Education Program is financed from this source.
       The Oregon Hunter Education Program is delivered by volunteers and administered through the Department of Fish and Wildlife. The Hunter Education Program always has a need for more volunteer instructors. If you are age 21 or older, have never had a criminal or wildlife law conviction, want to volunteer, and want to pass on the hunting heritage, to contact us in Multnomah County, call Larry at 503-329-6543.  In Salem, at 503-947-6028.

   Who needs to take it?

             Anyone aged 17 or under must have a Hunter Education
                certificate in their possession when hunting big game,
                upland birds, and waterfowl.
             Anyone of Any Age planning to hunt in a state that requires
                hunters to have completed Hunter Education needs to
                have a valid certificate.

Last Revised: Nov. 2009